Monday, December 26, 2011

I Made It. Thank heavens it's Boxing Day.

Anyone else feeling this way today - or yesterday?  I was.  This year all I could think was "I just need to make it until Christmas"!

That sounds negative, I know.  It's just that Christmas is a month's worth of organization, planning, preparation, shopping the deals, orchestrating, 'sneaking', sorting, socializing, cooking and more.  We didn't even go overboard with gifts in our family.  Hubby and I didn't exchange, and the girls received a couple of key things they had their hearts set on, plus their stockings.  But it's more than the actual gifts.  It's the entire Christmas planning, coordination, and execution!  And, let's face it, for most families, the women make Christmas happen.  My mom always says: "I don't know why Santa is a man, we all know who pulls off Christmas - the women".  Damn straight, mom!

Yet I love the family togetherness, the food that we share, the laughs, and the excitement that the children feel at Christmas.  But, last night I had a good cry.  I think I was letting go of the stress of these last few months - of listing and showing our house, working on and editing my book - squeeze in Halloween, birthdays, and oh yes... Christmas.

I had a phone message from my girlfriend yesterday that went something like this "I'm SO done.  I didn't get to bed until 1am, and then the kids woke up at 4:40.  I haven't started cooking yet and my house is a mess.  I know you're supposed to feel the joy today, but I'm done."  Gosh I love her honesty.  I laughed.  Not at her, but with her.  Because she is mom that will tell it like it is. Christmas is a ton of work, and every year I love the feeling of Boxing Day, when I can sit back and relax a little. (And, I hope you are doing just that today, Tanya.)

Yet with all that work and stress, we did have a beautiful day yesterday with our family in our new home.  And, we shared some great times with my sister and her family and it warmed my heart to see our children laughing with heart.  To see their joy playing at my sister's yesterday was gold.

Best of all, when I asked our eldest last night what her best part of Christmas has been so far she said "seeing Nanny on Skype".  ♥  We talk weekly with my husband's parents on Skype, but this Christmas was the first time she got to reconnect with my mom in Newfoundland.

So, I guess through all the hard work and my sobbing last night, the meaning of Christmas was there for our children.  I'm going to hold on to that thought for next year.

Ladies, grab your teas and chocolate and enjoy Boxing Day.  We've got, oh a good 10 months or so before it ramps up again.  ;)

11 comments:

Erin Helgerson said...

Yay for Boxing Day! I work for a Canadian company so luckily I have today off as well!
Hope your Holiday's were amazing!
Xo,
Erin

Christine said...

I am right there with you Dreena. I absolutely love the holiday season, especially since my birthday is a mere 5 days before Christmas. But this year I just wasn't "feeling" it. I'm not sure if it was the lack of snow here in Northern Michigan, or that I turned 40 (aack!) this year...who knows. But, I too had myself a good cry (aka a shoulder-heaving, cry till there are no tears left in me cry). I haven't cried like that in a long time. And, I didn't enjoy the holiday like I usually do. So, I'm very glad it's over. Another week of vacation for the kiddos and then were off trying to survive another long winter. I just hope it snows more so my boys can go sledding and make their snow forts! Merry Christmas (and happy relaxing) to you and your family!

Christine said...

Oh, and I failed to mention my favorite birthday present was from my dear sister...Eat, Drink and Be Vegan! Now I have all of your cookbooks. So happy. :)

Dreena said...

Erin, hurrah indeed! We all need a day off. :)

Christine, there's so much emotion tied into the holidays, it's almost inevitable, huh? And, some years have more emotion than others - this was one of those for me, and sounds like for you too. Well, a good cry is a good thing anyway! I hope you get some snow and enjoy your winter. (We rarely get snow in Vancouver, and when we do the girls are *ecstatic*!!) And, I send you belated birthday wishes, I imagine it isn't so easy recognizing birthdays amongst the hubbub of Christmas. I hope your birthday was special for YOU! Lovely to know you have ed&bv, I think you'll find some goodies to perk up your mood - I hope so. :) Thanks for commiserating with me!

Prediksi Bola said...

JUST WISHING EVERYONE A MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

HOPEFULLY see you at BOXING DAY SEW IN

Christine said...

Dreena, how sweet of you wish me a happy birthday, however you already did on FB! :) I am about half way through ED&BV (I like to read my cookbooks cover to cover) and have lots of pages dog-eared. Everything looks so delicious I plan on cooking my way through, making everything.

Dreena said...

oh funny, well forgive me my brain fog, as I've been in one for about a month! Hey, I like your cookbook protocol... good approach! I have blogged a number of recipes too, so you can always search on whether I've posted a pic, or more info on the recipe, etc. Have fun experimenting!

jhailstone said...

I'm glad you can say Christmas instead of holidays. I hope you have a less stressful time next year. I always say how I'm going to do better the next year. But, it's still the same chaos. The only thing that is changing is our expectations for perfection. It's great that you can make good meals and have presents.

Sarah-Our Island Home said...

I love Christmas but I do feel relieved when Boxing Day arrives! Although we try to keep it simple, it still involves so much prep! I'm also glad to get the house and routine back to normal with the kiddos. Of course this year, as every year now for the past few years, we have enjoyed many of your recipes for our holiday meals and treats. They are part of our holiday tradition. So thank you! I am planning to do a bit of freezer cooking before we start school again in January and I am wondering if your Sweet and Sour Neat Balls (The Everyday), can be frozen...

Dreena said...

Sarah, I don't think I've frozen them before, but I recall my mother-in-law used to do so. They might lose a little bit of firmness with the freezing/thawing, so I might suggest to handle them as little as possible with the baking once out of the freezer. Try to transfer straight from freezer container to baking sheet without mussing with them too much - in fact, I'd prob bake them before they completely thaw, perhaps let them thaw not quite halfway, and then bake - adjusting for extra baking time. Certainly you could make them a couple of days in advance too if that works for you. And, thank you for letting me know that some of my recipes have become tradition for you - that is pretty fab to hear! Good luck with the neat balls! :)

Sarah-Our Island Home said...

Thank you Dreena for the freezing and baking tips! Happy New Year!